Have you “fallen off the wagon” and are wondering what you should do??? Most of us have been there and it can be so overwhelming trying to figure out what to do when you’ve fallen out of shape!
Each season of life brings something new. Maybe you’re going through a change in your work schedule, celebrating the addition of a child or pet in your life, experiencing an injury, grieving a loved one, or just having a ton of fun with friends or family. Whatever the case may be, it’s not abnormal to fall out of routines, nutrition and exercise routines included! I mean we’re all human, right?
For most of us there comes a time when we’re ready to get back at it! But knowing what to do when you’ve fallen out of shape can be so overwhelming!
Do you hop on the latest TikTok workout challenge, a trendy new diet that your aunt Becky swears by, or hop back on the grind of 5 workout classes a week like you did when you were single with limited responsibilities?
No, no, and NO.
Here’s the thing, we give our clients all the tools they need to be successful for LIFE. But sometimes clients reach back out after going through something like an illness or surgery. They’re struggling to get back on track on their own because they’re feeling overwhelmed. They have the tools and knowledge, but are feeling lost on their own. Accountability IS one of the perks of coaching after all 😉
So whether you’ve been a BGN client in the past, or you haven’t but you’ve “fallen off the wagon” and are looking for where to start again, these are some of the tips I give to busy ladies looking to get back in shape!
- The first thing we look at is if what you were doing originally is sustainable. It’s SO easy to compare ourselves to a past version and automatically think that’s what we need to do. Most times that’s not the case though. Just think about it; your workout routine when you were single with limited responsibilities is going to look much different now that you have a family, or run a business, or whatever else that causes a busy schedule. So the key here is focusing on creating a new routine that will be SUSTAINABLE for you!
- I cannot emphasize the importance of mindset enough when it comes to getting back in the swing of things. If you’re stuck with a “poor me” attitude, or comparing yourself to a past version of you, get out of it girl! I know, easier said than done right? But this type of mindset is going to keep you stuck. It’s so important to have compassion for ourselves and recognize that this happens. We’re not “bad” for allowing it to happen. Try to focus on what you do well and meet yourself where you’re at. This is going to be SO important in allowing yourself to move forward!
- On that note, where ARE you at? This is a good time to do an honest evaluation on your current habits and obstacles. What do your current nutrition habits look like? What about your exercise habits? How about other lifestyle habits? Is there anything that you feel is going WELL right now? Evaluating these things will help you better understand where to start.
- Remember that you do not need to work on all the things at once. As a girly with high expectations for myself, this was a hard pill for me to swallow once upon a time. But learning to focus on one thing that will make the biggest difference is a GAME CHANGER! If you can focus on one thing, you’re going to do that one thing REALLY well. You’ll gain momentum from there to do more things REALLY well later down the line!
- Using your evaluation of where you’re at and your one thing to focus on, create a PLAN. This means coming up with how you’re going to put things into motion to get back in shape. Maybe you have started skipping breakfast which has caused you to feel tired by the time you leave work which has led to you skipping the gym. A great place to start would be planning your breakfast meals ahead of time so you can ensure you’re getting a balanced breakfast to keep you energized throughout your day.
- Lastly, CHEER YOURSELF ON! This step is so often overlooked by women because we hate to brag on ourselves. I’m here to tell you to do just that! You’re never going to feel motivated or successful with your progress if you don’t celebrate it! Cheering for yourself builds momentum to keep going! If you truly struggle to cheer for yourself, don’t be afraid to ask for help because we LOVE helping women realize their true potential when it comes to their health and fitness 😘