This was a years-long struggle. I’ve always wanted to be a morning workout person. But I also loooove waking up slowly and sort of being a sloth in the morning. Thus the struggle. But here lately I’ve come to the realization that if I don’t get my workout done in the morning, it won’t get done. Goodbye, sloth mornings (except Sunday).
This change was out of NECESSITY because working out keeps me sane. It always blows my mind when people say they don’t have time to work out. I do it for myself. It’s my “me” time. I have to work out because I feel the benefits immediately, and I feel the consequences pretty quick if I start to slack off.
If you need to know the benefits of regular exercise, here’s a quick run-down:
- decreased stress (THE most important benefit, in my opinion)
- better circulation and more energy (yes, physical activity actually gives you MORE energy)
- better sleep
- more muscle mass aka more fat burn and faster resting metabolism
- lower blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity
- mental sharpness and preventing ALZHEIMER’S
I could go on and on. So yeah, I have to work out. And I was determined. So I pulled out all the stops to make this a habit in the mornings. Now I honestly couldn’t imagine skipping a morning work out. My day doesn’t feel properly started without it. It takes like….. 7 times of doing something to make it a habit. or something like that. SO, force yourself to wake up every day and move your body in some capacity for 7 days, and you’ll be hooked. I am. And the best part is not having to worry about fitting it in the rest of the day. It’s an all-around win.
Here are my tips for getting yourself out of bed and moving in the morning.
1. Keep your workouts quick and effective if you’re strapped for time. Seriously, I love a long, mind-clearing cardio sesh. But lately lifting weights and doing high-intesity stuff is the quickest way for me to burn calories, build lean muscle, and get back to my work.
2. Earn your coffee/healthy breakfast. Use whatever motivates you. For me, I reward myself with a warm cup of coffee right after I’ve finished my workout and then I have a great breakfast. It’s the best.
3. Lay out your workout clothes the night before. Seriously, just do it. you have no excuse if your running shorts are literally staring you in the face in the morning.
4. When you get out of bed, immediately pour yourself a glass of water and start some fun music. dance a little. you’ll feel ready to go
5. Do something you LOVE. whatever it is. Exercise is exercise. If you’re into yoga, cool. if you love to go for a lil stroll with your pup, do that. Personally, I like Anna Victoria’s BodyLove app right now. It’s 25ish minutes of super-effective weight workouts that make me feel soooo good. And I can do it at home, which is a huge time-saver for me right now.
Those are my tips!! If you want to share YOUR workout motivation, comment below 🙂
Sidenote: there is no right or wrong time of day to exercise!! Therefore, do what works for you and your lifestyle. Just make sure you MOVE.